Sunday, February 17, 2008

A migrant from D.I.Khan

I hail from Dera Ismail Khan, now part of NWFP in Pakistan. I lived in several cities as my father was in the Army. After graduating from Roorkee, I worked in Kolkata, Hyderabad and Delhi before coming to Bangalore in 1985. All these places welcomed outsiders, with Bangalore being the most welcoming. This is the essence of India, where people from diverse backgrounds live, work and contribute together.

It is easy to make Bangalore your home. The people are friendly. The presence of a large number of educational institutions and PSUs has created a multi-cultural society, which gives the city a distinctive character. All of us have a feeling of collectively contributing to Bangalore and Karnataka.

I love Bangalore, where I have spent most of my corporate life. I have been part of the growth of the IT industry, which gave Bangalore the title of India’s Silicon Valley. MindTree Consulting, which I co-founded with nine others, was set up in 1999. Apart from contributing to the city’s economic development, we have contributed to creating an environment-friendly workplace and a high-quality image of the industry. Through CII, I worked with the government to plan for the long-term development of Karnataka.

I also get immense satisfaction from my association with Samarthanam Trust for the Disabled and the Spastic Society of Karnataka.

Ustad Rashid Khan Kolkata
(http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Special_Report/Im_a_migrant_this_is_my_city/articleshow/2788430.cms)

No comments: